Saturday, June 7, 2008

“You have come to help clear the tears of my people. You are most welcome here in my country.”

These were the words of my new friend David Aleki as he spoke so passionately to us this afternoon of the effects of war on education. He cited statistics, taken just last month, of the schools in disrepair, of teacher shortages, of the ravages of war both on the structures of school and the effects in the classroom. The news is bleak, the facts are grim, the stories at a level of heartbreak that is beyond grief. Yet in the same hour he spoke of the beauty of the Acholi people, and he welcomes us with gratitude, and he thanks us for our willingness to come. How can there be such capacity to forgive, and to love and to hope? Twenty years of war have wounded these lovely people, yet they are not utterly destroyed.
We have had three long full days of lectures and workshops and have met some of the most admirable people I have ever encountered. (more to come later). I’m off to my school soon and will start with my teacher on Monday.

6 comments:

Karen Heyse said...

I just can't believe you are really there now. Wow. I know that you will change the lives of those you meet, and they will change yours. You are in our daily prayers. Keep carrying the light ! Love you !

the kitchen gnomes said...

You have been given the privilege of going and touching the lives of these beautiful people and we wait with bated breath to hear about what God is doing through you. Keep sharing. Praying daily...much love.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Ann! Praying for you this morning as we head west. I'll do my best to take your spot, but I'll never replace you. Pray the kids won't laugh at my attempts to teach them something about words.

Give my love to Uganda - I miss it.

Unknown said...

Annie, thank you for taking the time to write down and send your experiences & impressions. You are on a life-changing mission--for yourself and countless others. God bless and protect you in all your doings. Love, Tib

angela said...

ah--i found you! great to read about your first impressions and how things are going so far. interesting about the meeting with the ambassador--i'd love to hear more here or when you get back. looking forward to keeping up with you here. my prayers are with you. love, angela

Anonymous said...

Hey, Ann! We saw Dave this morning and he told us you were in Uganda! Wow, your wanderlust really has taken you away this year! What an exciting opportunity and life changing experience. I just can't imagine. We will be praying for you and following your trip. Take care!

Beth, Joe and the kids