Thursday, June 5, 2008

Arrived in Gulu!

Hi Everyone,

Annie made it to Gulu! She is having a problem accessing her blog, so here’s an update from her emails.

Monday: I'm sitting in the internet room of Backpacker's Hostel in Kampala! So I'm actually here in Uganda! We'll hang out here tonight, then run errands tomorrow, make a school visit on Weds, then take the 6 hour ride up to Gulu, arriving Weds. Night. I like the people I'm with and have found out a little more about the program, and I think
it's going to be really good. The hour drive from the airport was one long eye-opening stretch of poverty. Basically one long road with shacks and little fruit stands and muddy paths. The hostel is a very
green oasis. Simple and rustic, but fine.

Tuesday: It's now morning. We went to bed early- all in a big bunk room and now I'm drinking horrible coffee but at least the mosquitoes did not get me under my malaria tent. It's kind of creepy hearing them buzz all night around my face with only the net separating us. It's not as hot as I'd imagined. It's very damp, but almost cool. Today we're doing our last minute shopping and seeing Kampala.

Wednesday: I had a rough day yesterday. We were warned that the road to Gulu was bad, but it was full of such deep pot holes that the driver had to weave back and forth the whole way and I got car-sick. On top of that I got a migraine, and thought I could wait to take meds until I arrived. Ended up pulling over on the side of the road and throwing up, then being really sick by the time we arrived in Gulu about 7p.m. I went right to bed but was pretty miserable.

Thursday: Finally I'm better but not great! Busy day with workshops and meeting the staff.

DH

2 comments:

Eileen said...

Hi Ann,

I'm reading Mountains beyond Mountains about Paul Farmer's work in Haiti. Your entries are similar to what the conditions are like there.

How awful to get sick in transit like that. I hope you are feeling much better by now.

Eileen

the kitchen gnomes said...

Seems there's always a little bad stuff mixed in with all the good stuff happening. The first two day sound amazing, but the ride to Gulu sounds horrible. I'm so sorry you had that experience. But I hope the migraine went away quickly.
Anyway, your story sounds very similar to some we heard from Angela...even the part about being sick.
Eager to hear more...praying daily....
love, karen